Sunday, November 11, 2007

Coming From New Orleans

I was born and raised in New Orleans and have lived in Houston for about 2 years now. I now appreciate the architecture there so much more than when I was a resident. There are so many beautiful homes and buildings there, and not just mansions and fancy places. The last place I lived there was uptown, outside of the Garden District. I loved it because my son and I could walk to the park, a basketball court, and to a library. The library was so cool because it was a public library with strictly children's books, audio tapes, and movies. I saw that there have been some renovations since Katrina and I can't wait to check it out again.

There was another library close to our house, the Latter library, that is an old mansion that was donated to the city. It is beautiful inside and can be rented for special events. A relative had her wedding there and it was wonderful. The circulation desk is converted to a bar for the evening and the book shelves are rolled to the back. I love going there and reading a good book in the parlor.

Many people not familiar with New Orleans think it's the last place to visit with children. Having lived there with my son for five years (and visiting as often as possible), I must disagree. The Audubon Zoo is only one of the great many things that are fun for kids and grown-ups. We brought some friends from Texas there and they were overwhelmed at the zoo. Mardi Gras is also a blast with kids, as long as you have done some research. For example, I wouldn't recommend bringing them to Bourbon Street but Napoleon Avenue is the perfect place to watch a parade with kids. We walked to the parades with a wagon carrying food and drinks, chairs, and of course a bag or two for everything we'd catch. There are lots of kids at the parades and parents look out for all the kids around them. It's good to get to know the people around you, as it makes the whole thing a lot more fun and enjoyable. Besides Mardi Gras, there's City Park, Storyland, the Children's Museum, Audubon Park, riding the ferries...I will have to do a whole blog later just about New Orleans and the surrounding region.

The place I miss most since moving is our church, Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church. It was built in 1894 and is the most beautiful church I've seen so far. The parishioners are a wonderfully kind and diverse bunch. I always make sure to go to mass here when I'm in New Orleans for the weekend. Please stop by if you're in town, you won't be disappointed.

No comments: